Sunday, February 28, 2010

Serendipity

A couple of weeks ago, I was leafing through some of the books on my shelf, looking at eye candy and getting inspiration for new explorations. Leave it to Carol Wilcox Wells and her book, The Art and Elegance of Beadweaving, to spark an idea.



The shape and proportion of the Cellini spiral caught my eye, and I decided to work with the size mix indicated in the pattern, although I wasn't going to make a bracelet. The pattern calls for three different colors of size 15s. My selection of that size is pretty limited, and since it was 10:30 at night, my access to the local bead store for a quick fix was not happening. I pulled out all of the teeny tinies in my collection, and found about seven colors to choose from.


When I found the three (graphite, moss green, and light mauve) that worked best together, it was time to search for other colors and sizes that would play nicely. The result is a color palette that's somewhat outside my norm, but I think that this time, serendipity was my friend.

Oh, and Carol, thanks for the inspirational eye candy!

1 comment:

GraceC said...

Hi Bobbie. You left a super sweet comment about my bead soup piece, so I hopped over here to see yours, but I guess you didn't participate? So I read a couple entries and then kept reading because you write well. This piece knocks my socks off. I think it would have been far less interesting if you'd have used the "correct" size beads. It's perfect as it is.