Friday, March 24, 2017

Bead Hoarders Blog Party - The Reveal!


All beaders have those beads that they just can't let go of, and that they just can't bring themselves to make something with. Beader's block? Fear of not creating something that lives up to the beauty of the bead? Just the dragon-like tendency to amass a collection of shiny things? Whatever it is, we all have those hoarded beads in our collections, just waiting to be pulled out and used.

Lori Anderson to the rescue! She created another one of her legendary bead swaps, but this time the only rule was to send a bead we'd hoarded, along with a story of why it's important to us.

My fabulous partner Kathy Lindemer sent me a gorgeous handmade ceramic donut by Diana Ptaszynski of Suburban Girl Studios. Kathy said she loves Suburban Girl beads because they often have a nautical feel, and the blues and greens that she uses are colors Kathy enjoys using in her jewelry. They are pretty delicious colors, aren't they? Along with the ceramic bead was a lovely length of blue satin cording and a clasp that Kathy made herself.  If you'd like to see the whole package, go here.


How did I know this was a perfect hoarded bead for me? Because it was a perfect match for some seed beads that I'd been hoarding...blue transparent green-lined lovelies that I hadn't found the right way to use, until now. They were absolutely the perfect match for the shades of green and blue on the donut.


I wanted to stay pretty minimal with my design, to focus attention on Kathy's bead. A herringbone rope with superduos, miniduos, and tiny crystals, undulating from small to large and back again, echoing the large to small decoration Diana used on the donut. 



A lariat style allows the focal bead to stay front and center, and the fringe has one, two, or three tiny crystals at the ends both to add sparkle and, again, echo the larger/smaller dimples on the donut.




But wait, there's more! I couldn't pass up using Kathy's clasp and that luscious blue cording. Again, a simple design to focus on the lovely components used - this time I used a pendant I made with seed beads and two-holed triangles. Easy peasy, just right for spring (if it ever gets here and stays here!)


Thanks for visiting, and huge thanks to Kathy for sharing such a beautiful bead with me. I hope I did it proud for you.

Now, go treat yourself to the eye candy created by others in this swap party. The full list is HERE. Enjoy!



32 comments:

Therese's Treasures said...

Hi Bobbie,
The first necklace is amazing! You totally knocked it out of the park. The Herringbone bead woven rope is perfect for the beautiful donut focal. The second necklace is so simple and beautiful. Those two hole triangle beads give me fits, but you did a beautiful job with yours.
Therese

Shai Williams said...

Gorgeous designs! I love how your hoard and Kathy's came together.

Becky Pancake said...

Hi Bobbie, Both of your designs are lovely. The seed beads are the perfect match for Diana's focal. I am a fan of Diana's work also and blue is my color. The pendant that you stitch for the second necklace is indeed simple and unique. it pairs well with the silk cord.

Amy S. said...

That is some serious synchronicity/serendipity how well those seed beads matched your pendant! Gorgeous work. You really showcased your pendant beautifully!

Anonymous said...

Wow, the donut necklace is a stunner, just beautiful! Not being a seed beader, I can't imagine all the work that goes into that.

AntiquityTravelers said...

WOW! what a gorgeous piece Bobbie! Those seed beads really bring out the green in the focal - it just brings it to life! I LOVE it

lisivonabc said...

Very fine work and your are right, the pedant fits perfectly to the seed beads!

Sarah said...

Such gorgeous, dramatic designs! I really love your seed bead work, too :)

baymoondesign said...

I am so glad I sent you the ceramic bead. I would never have done it justice the way you did. The seed beads were perfect and you made a stunning necklace. I love seeing my clasp on the other necklace. The focal that you make is perfect for the silk ribbon. Well done, partner.

Unknown said...

I love the beautiful stitches you used [ they are called stitches?] and I agree the Lariat is the perfect foil for the wonderful donut! I think you hit the nail on the head with the simplicity of the second design!! Something I noticed as well, is that the designs are tidy and seamless. No threads or straggling beads!! Really well done!! Be Blessed

bailaora said...

herringbone rope is really great!!!

Unknown said...

Stunning. I absolutely love that lariat and would wear it happily!

Hannah said...

Ooooh. Stunning. You did a beautiful job. Thanks for sharing so much inspiration with us.

Liz said...

You most definitely did right by Kathy's bead! What a gorgeous rope. And to go lariat style was brilliant. I don't think it would be possible to find a better way to showcase that donut. You created a real beauty. But wait - I don't want to forget that luscious royal blue cord. Your simple, eye catching triangle bead pendant is perfect. I always love what you make.

Ann said...

So great that you had hoarded beads that matched the hoarded beads that you were sent so well. Great pieces!

Anonymous said...

Those seed beads ARE perfect with that donut, and your necklace is beautiful! Love how you used your partners clasp in the second necklace.

Susanm said...

Both of your pieces are gorgeous.

Tracy said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your design. The focal donut is stunning and your beadwork lariat works perfectly. Nice job!

Barb Fernald said...

Man oh man that rope is gorgeous! It is the perfect compliment to the focal. The combination of colors is spot on. Really nicely done!

Unknown said...

Your designs are beautiful and I especially love the green necklace with the bead roping. You are a great artist and give everyone inspiration to learn and grow.

Janine from esfera Jewelry said...

Both pieces are gorgeous. Love the beaded rope, that is just amazing

Divya N said...

My god, these are not simple designs but quite complicated by my beadwork standards. The Lariat with the donut is such a statement piece

Unknown said...

A beader after my own heart!!! Wow is all I can say!!!

craftyd said...

Your beading is perfect with that focal, love the second necklace too.
Dolores

Unknown said...

Love that donut - your beads are perfect with it!

Unknown said...

Beautiful job! I admire you seed beaders so much! The patience, the beauty, the wow!

CraftyHope said...

It looks like a jellyfish in that picture with the tassels hanging from the donut! And, I LOVE jellyfish. Both of the necklace came out great! You always make such stunning work!

Skyline Beads said...

Wow! That herringbone necklace is certainly not minimal, it is gorgeous and goes perfect with that pendant! The second necklace is also great!

Liz said...

Wonderful beadwork with awesome movement! Just lovely!

Ann Schroeder said...

Beautiful necklaces! The gorgeous rope you beaded for the first one is just fabulous and perfect! I love it that you made another component so you could use the pretty clasp and cord.

Lori Anderson said...

Suburban Girl IS awesome! And so is your beadwork! It's amazing with all those strands!

joy said...

You sure had your way with those beads! Great job, detail, photos and write up.