Friday, January 20, 2012

Introducing Leonard

A couple of months ago, I was lucky enough to win a copy of Karen Williams' great book Freeform Peyote Beading.  Not only did Karen send me a copy of the book, but she sent a treasure box of beads selected to echo the design in the book that had most caught my eye.


Looking through the pages of her book online, a bracelet stood out to me -- not just because it was lovely, but because I misread Karen's title (Leopard Jasper Bracelet).  "How funny!" I thought, "She called the bracelet Leonard Jasper."

(Okay, originally, the plan was to sit down and bead myself silly over Thanksgiving weekend.  Yep.  So let's just jump in the WayBack Machine and pretend it's late November, and that I'm not actually two months behind schedule on this...)

And so, in honor of Karen and her wonderful generosity and talent, allow me to introduce Leonard, the Jasper Bracelet.






I've done a good bit of freeform work, but Karen's book was full of great ideas and tips that were new to me.  My favorite tip for this project was to consider the first strand of beads you string as the centerline of the final piece and build on both sides simultaneously, at least at first.  This great tip helped me avoid my typical wonky "aw, crap, it's lopsided" moment in freeform bracelet creation.

Thanks, Karen, for helping to bring Leonard into my life!  And y'all, go take a look at her book on Amazon -- yummy...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I am still afraid of the freeform thing for me but you totally rocked this piece! Karen (I am sure) is so proud of your interpretation of her design and gifts!

KJ said...

I have never tried free form peyote, but I keep getting tempted. Maybe some time soon.

Lois Moon said...

I love freeform peyote beading, but I never thought of adding a large stone such as Leonard. Great piece. Great ides.

Christine Altmiller said...

Bobbie-Leonard is Gorgeous!!! You have given me so much hope that I can actually do this. I entered to win the book too and wound up getting it for Christmas. I was hoping to have a bracelet completed by now, but non-beading life tripped me up and I am still reading the book. All this waiting will be worth it in the end. I was partial to the same piece of Karen's as you were. I am in awe of what you made! Great work! I hope you make more and post those pictures too.

Sarah Sequins said...

Leonard is beautiful!!! Now I want to name all my jewelry. :)

The more I hear about Karen's book, the more I want to go buy it. It sounds fantastic!

Karen Williams said...

Leonard is great, Bobbie! I love your story and your beading both.

I missed this post first time around, shame on me, but am so glad you enjoyed my book! Thank you so much for the great review.

My Leopard Jasper bracelet is one of my personal favorites, and seems to be a consistent favorite with others as well.