Wednesday, October 16, 2013

My Life In The Forest, Or The 3-Show Month


Things have been a little quiet on the ol' blog recently.  But they haven't been quiet around the workroom!

Over the four weekends of October, I have three shows -- two of them out of town. The first weekend of the month (the only non-show one), I traveled to the Carolinas to visit my folks and hear a recital my sweet husband was playing.  So I'm not particularly well acquainted with my own bed this month, much less with my computer!

Anyway, last weekend was the Kentucky Artisans' Guild of Artists and Craftsmen fall show in Berea.  The weather was glorious, the setting was in a gorgeous forest on the side of a mountain, and the show itself was good.  The picture above was the view out of the back of my booth.  Not a bad way to spend a couple of days!

Of course, no matter how glorious the weather, any outdoor show has its own risks, which I've documented several times on this blog.  Rain?  Wardrobe malfunctions? Bad hair days?  Yep, yep, and yep.

This show was no different, although they were mostly things that make you say "hmmm" instead of things that make you say "yikes!"

Spending a couple of days in the great outdoors means spending a couple of day with the critters whose territory you have invaded.  I spent much time relocating daddy long legs spiders that decided my necklace displays were their favorite new climbing toys.  My tent, being on the side of the mountain, was on a slight slope, which meant that things leaned a little off-center the whole time.  Oddly enough, I'm inherently off-kilter enough that I didn't realize the issue until partway through the first day.

No matter what I may have encountered, the painter across from me had an experience that absolutely takes the award for story of the show.  He had leaned many of his canvases against the poles of his tent for his display.  A dog that apparently lived near the show site was strolling by, and decided to express his admiration of the artist's work by peeing on one of the paintings.  Yes.  Believe me, I kept an eye out for that dog the rest of the weekend!

So now, back to prep for this weekend's show, the wonderful Kentuck Festival.  If you're in Alabama this weekend, come see me!

4 comments:

Therese's Treasures said...

Hi Bobbie,
You are a hoot the stories you tell from the experiences you have at these shows. Well I hope this coming weekend at Kentuck brings you nothing but joy. Oh and yeah I will be stopping by.
Therese

AntiquityTravelers said...

good luck with all your shows! may your tables be straight, and no wandering dogs pee on your displays!

Unknown said...

Well, peeing on product. that's one I haven't heard before. I so hope the dog's owners paid for the canvas! Or at least part of it.

Getting ready for holiday shows here. So much to do, so little time. Will watch out for stray dogs though. :)

Christine Altmiller said...

Hysterical!!! Not for the artist, though.
Best of Luck and Sales with the rest of your shows. Therese and Bobbie, Together...yes, things might hang a little off kilter at this show too ;-)