Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Old Friends, Monkeys On Unicycles, and Eating My Way Through Town

This past weekend was the second of my three shows this month, and it gave me the chance to go back to Tuscaloosa, AL, where my family lived for over a decade. I was thrilled to be part of the Kentuck Festival, which is a fantastic show, and I was excited to be able to go "home" for a while.

And to start things off right, look who showed up at my booth almost as soon as the show opened --


It's Therese from Therese's Treasures! What fun to see online friends, and what a kick to see her again!  She is, truly, every bit as sweet and encouraging and fun as you'd expect from reading her blog.  If you don't read her blog, get on over there and start following her!  She was a bright spot in an early morning that had started with some passing rain.

Around 11, the showers stopped and the sun started peeking out.  Pay no attention to the water bottle I forgot to hide before taking the booth photo.  Duh.


 Each night I was in town, I ate at one of the restaurants my family used to enjoy when we lived there.  I may or may not have gained five pounds. Do the calories you eat when you're having lots of fun count?

I got to see lots of old friends and neighbors, which was great, and very nostalgic. Even after eight years, it's like the blink of an eye.

"But wait," you're probably thinking, "you said something about a monkey on a unicycle?"  Why yes, I did.  And it was in the booth next to mine, the work of a truly awesome artist who handformed whimsical and weird creatures from steel wire and found objects.  This monkey stopped people dead in their tracks, inspiring laughs, gasps of wonder, and lots of photo ops. The artists were terrific neighbors, and they won a well-deserved merit award.

Seriously, click on the photo to see it in more detail.  Awesome.
No peeing dogs this weekend.  A few mildly hungover patrons on Sunday after Saturday's Alabama football game in town, but they managed to control themselves.  Great sales, great fun, great food, great football, and great friends.  Now I have a couple of days to recuperate and make new stuff to get ready for this weekend's show!

5 comments:

Therese's Treasures said...

Hi Bobbie,
It was fantastic to see you again and the day did turn out to be a lovely one once the rain was gone. Good to hear that your sales were good and that you got to see some old friends and eat at some of your favorite places, that is one thing I can say about Tuscaloosa is that it has a lot of fantastic out of the way restaurants. Best wishes on your next show.
Therese

AntiquityTravelers said...

oh how fun! so jealous you met Therese, and jealous that Therese met you! but glad there were no peeing dogs :O

Unknown said...

Now you've finally given me a reason to tag along to one of those games by boys love so much. Love your booth. So glad you had fun.

CraftyHope said...

I'm so jealous that you and Therese got to hang out! Alas, there was simply no way I was going to be able to make the long trek up there this past weekend. It sounds like you had a lot of fun and I'm hoping the show was a success too. :)

Christine Altmiller said...

Therese, sales, old friends, good food, neighboring whimsy~sounds like a great weekend!