Friday, November 15, 2013

Happy Birthday Therese! - The Reveal

The fabulous Therese of Therese's Treasures is having a birthday, and she's given some of her friends gifts to play with.
Me and the birthday girl!
Let me tell you about my friend Therese.  We met through blogging, and through our conversations discovered that I had known and worked with her brother when I lived in Alabama (small, small world!!).  She is funny, warm hearted, generous, and has an insatiable curiosity that leads her to explore new jewelry techniques.  In addition to always pushing herself to new levels of beadweaving beauty, she's learned PMC and glass fusing.  What next? I predict fencing, competitive baking, and/or writing an award winning novel.
To celebrate her birthday, she dipped into the results of her latest exploration, and sent each challenge participant one of the fused glass cabs she's made.

I got the gorgeous, delicious cobalt blue triangle.  It has small flecks of clear dichroic, which give it a subtle effervescence, like little bubbles of champagne right beneath the surface. Because Therese always explores new ideas in her work, I wanted to figure out a new way to incorporate beadweaving into the bezel surrounding this cab.

Since I'd been playing around with twin beads, I explored ways to use them.

See the little sparkles of dichroic?  Lovely!
A twin bead herringbone strip was the perfect width for the height of the cab, and the unusual shape of the cab allowed me to twist the strip so that part of it laid down around the cab and part of it snugged up on end. And the rest of the necklace?


Since I love cobalt blue so much, I figured there's never too much of a good thing -- I pulled out lots of blue beads in my stash.


The webbed beads are vintage Japanese glass.  The pewter wavy discs have a sparkly finish that echoes the dichro in the cab.  And pearls are classic, perfect to salute a classic lady.

Thanks for letting me celebrate your birthday Therese!  Here are the other partygoers, so go grab a slice of cake and enjoy:

Bobbie yep, you're here!

12 comments:

Amy S. said...

Bobby - I'm stunned by this beautiful bezel and all the gorgeous coordinating beads. Those twins somehow remind me of the cab itself.

And I echo everything you say about Therese. She's so wonderful!!

AntiquityTravelers said...

Oh yes Therese fencing, or competitive baking! I'm just giggling with all the possibilities - lol. I just love what you've done here with twin beads! I still struggle with the shape of those, but you have tamed them and turned them into a bezel?! I always just love to see what you will come up with Bobbie! and this is gorgeous ... all the way down to vintage Japanese glass? LOVE

Christine Altmiller said...

Bobbie,the necklace as a whole is beautiful~the bead mix and colors are wonderful. But what you did with that cab...LOVE the look of the twin herringbone and how it curves around! That is Wonderful! You really did a great job of adding your own unique touch to Therese's gorgeous cab.

Unknown said...

I couldn't wait to get over here and see what you made, and I was not disappointed! Your style and design process always make me happy. Love the twin bead bezel, that is just genius! Such a gorgeous necklace,and yes, I am jealous that you and Therese got to meet and hang out! :)

Monique (A Half-Baked Notion) said...

Love this design, Bobbie, those bigger beads look so cool around the cab!

Tanya said...

Oh .. wow. I love how the twin beads take go in different directions around the cab. It makes it such a fluid piece. The colors are gorgeous!

Alicia said...

This is the first time I see a bezel made with twin beads - and I love it! You're right, there is always room for more cobalt (I simply love blue in any possible shade and hue) ~ this is such a special 'birthday gift'! Although I never met Therese I can easily see her picking up fencing :)

Therese's Treasures said...

Bobbie, Bobbie, Bobbie, you are an astonishing bead weaver I would have never thought to use twin beads as a bezel. They worked wonderfully around the triangular shape of the cab I sent to you. I love the necklace and all the different blue glass beads (I love the Japanese vintage beads they are so cool looking). Your necklace is gorgeous! You are so funny Fencing huh, well I do not know about that, but I am a brown belt in Okinawan Shotokan Karate. I do believe I would do well at competition baking though. Thank you so much for celebrating my birthday with me and I hope that you will celebrate many more to come with me too.
Much love,
Therese

Sarah Sequins said...

Yay!!!

That's a seriously gorgeous cab she gave you, and you used it in such a creative way. I would never have thought of making a bezel out of twin beads.

Awesome job! <3

Maryanne said...

This bezel is absolutely gorgeous! I love the twin beads and the way they twist to shape the cab. Your necklace has some fabulous beads in it. I love the vintage ones!

Patti Vanderbloemen said...

This is just drop dead gorgeous!! My favorite blue! Love the picture of you and therese as well!

CraftyHope said...

You had me at blue. ..
Just kidding, actually the way you set the cab is what draws my attention first. Those twin beads make such an amazing pattern around it. And your accent beads are exceptional all together. I do love some blue and you made it sing. It's a lovely tribute to Therese's birthday.