Monday, October 15, 2012

Visiting One of My "Babies"

Yesterday I volunteered at an art show about two hours away.  It was a guild I'm a member of, and since I couldn't be there all weekend as an exhibitor, I agreed to help out on Sunday.

On the way back home, I stopped by the Kentucky Artisans Center in Berea, where one of my necklaces is in their current exhibition, to see how my "baby" looked in the show.

With apologies for the quality of the photo (I was trying to be stealthy with my phone camera so I wouldn't get yelled at by the show police for taking pictures), here's the necklace.


It's a combination of ndebele, stringing, and needle weaving in the style of Helen Banes and Diane Fitzgerald, with the ndebele section serving as the heart of the centerpiece.

The exhibition is titled The Threads That Bind: Textiles by Kentucky Artisans.  Now I certainly don't consider myself a fiber artist (as you may know, I'd rather smack myself in the face with a flounder than hem a pair of pants), but it was a treat to see my little necklace alongside the beautiful quilts and fiber wallpieces that were also part of the show.  It's kind of amazing how much fancier a piece looks when you slap it up under a glass cover!

Here's a better picture, one taken by a professional who wasn't worried about getting thrown out of the room for having a camera.  You can get a much better idea of the bead weaving from this:

7 comments:

Karin Slaton said...

I love the rhythm of your piece, and the perfect balance of each element; it is just beautifully crafted. I'm not familiar with Helen Banes' work, but I'd love to explore this weaving technique.

Kepi said...

Beautiful and what an honor being on exhibit!

AntiquityTravelers said...

Holy Alphabet Soup Batman! What an amazing piece! I love the color choices and the design!!! So uniquely beautiful

KJ said...

What an honor it is to be included in a show like that. Congratulations.

Christine Altmiller said...

what a beautiful piece! i am sure it grabs the beaders and the fiberers alike :-D

Karen Williams said...

Beautiful! And congratulations!!!!!

But Bobbie - you work with needle and thread. You -are- a fiber artist. You just don't happen to work with traditional fabric. :)

Oh, and if the show policy had thrown in the lock-up, I'd post your bail!

Sarah Sequins said...

I love this piece, Bobbie!

I know so many people who love stitching beads but hate sewing. I love your line about the flounder! I agree wholeheartedly. I'd rather whack myself in the face with a marlin. ;)