Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Kreative Blogger Award!


If you've read this blog before, you know that sometimes, when I get excited about something, I tend to, um, act out.  I have been known to dance on my front porch or threaten to kiss the postman when a package of beads arrives.  It alarms the neighbors, and the poor postman, bless his heart, probably now hides in the bushes to be sure I'm not home before delivering any padded envelope that might contain beads.

So imagine, if you will, my reaction when Christine Altmiller named my blog on her Kreative Bloggers list!

Let's just say it's a good thing I got the news after dark. No neighborhood children or pets were traumatized by having to witness my happy dance.  But I was THRILLED!

There are three rules to the award:
  • Post a link to the person who awarded you (thanks Christine!!)
  • Share 7 well-thought out random things about yourself
  • Award to 10 other deserving bloggers and let them know
Seven random things about myself

1. I was in a rock band in high school. They hired me in because they needed a girl singer and I could harmonize like a whiz.  And I played a mean cowbell. I choose to think the fact that Mom had a station wagon we could use to haul gear to gigs in was just a plus.

2. I can't eat citrus, fish, or shellfish because of allergies.  While it doesn't bother me (you don't regret avoiding things that can land you in the hospital) it does make me a pain in the butt at the beach, where everything they serve in restaurants is seafood and/or citrus.

3. I had two master's degrees by the time I was 21.  This signifies nothing more than the fact that I seemed to have been in an awful rush when I was young.

4. Do not take me up to high places and make me look down.  It will not go well.  Trust me.

5. I went to an all-women's college.  Consequently, I can curse like a sailor, tell a filthy joke, or act like a perfect lady, depending on what the situation calls for.  This is probably not something my alma mater would want to cite in their recruitment materials.

6. I have ridden in an elevator with Mikhail Baryshnikov, Leonard Bernstein, and Willard Scott.  Not all at the same time.

7. I am a shoe fiend.  To the extent that, when I was teaching in a university, my students made up baseball shirts for an imaginary team and put the name "HEELZ" on the back of mine.  I still wear it with pride.

10 Blogs You Should Know

Although I have an extensive list of blogs that I enjoy every day, some of my favorites have been featured earlier this week with their own Kreative Blog award.  So here, in no particular order, are 10 that you may not have encountered elsewhere, but which are richly deserving of a visit:

1. Treasures Found - Erin not only makes gorgeous jewelry, but she has one of the most wonderful outlooks on life you will ever find.  She signs her posts "Enjoy the Day". Read her blog, and you will.

2. JulsBeads - mad lampworking and beading skills, and one of the funniest people you're likely to find in a beading blog.  Her post titles alone are worth adding her to your list.

3. Saturday Sequins - Sarah has a great sense of humor, a love of sparkly things, an enthusiasm for creative challenges, and her freeform beadweaving skills have been spectacular to watch develop.

4. La Bella Joya - Marcie creates magical little wonders with beadweaving and bead embroidery, and her imagination is boundless.  I love her style.

5. The Beading Yogini - Sometimes when I see CeCe's latest creations, they just take my breath away with their beauty and intricacy.  Beading, wirewrapping, micromacrame.  Go, enjoy. 

6. The Peregrine Beader -  Callie is wonderful at sharing the process behind the pieces she creates.  And the pieces she creates are elegant in their detail and color combinations.  Mind boggling.

7. Beads-Perles - Do I speak Spanish?  No.  Do I drool over the beautiful work by various artists featured here?  Inevitably.  And the artists featured share websites of beaders who inspire them, so you can find even more inspiration.  It's like a big, beady, matrix of fabulousness.

8. Mes Bijoux en Perles - Do I speak French?  Yes, badly.  But I don't need to, to be blown away by the soutache jewelry of Annetta Valious.  If you're intrigued by soutache, this is one to bookmark.

9. Que Onda Q'town? - Lois makes beautiful beadwoven jewelry.  She shares my dislike of snakes.  She shares stories of her teaching life.  And she throws in random Southern expressions (read her post about "falling out").

10. Songbeads - Rebecca has a magician's touch with color and texture.  And she makes the kind of beautiful bracelets that are so far out of my skill set, I just sit back and marvel.

While I'm pleased that you've stuck around long enough to read this far, do yourself a favor and go check out these other bloggers.  You'll be glad you did!

5 comments:

AntiquityTravelers said...

I am also jumping up and down! thankfully the mailman delivered his packages before I got home from work! Congratulations on the well deserved award!!!!!!! I am so happy to see you get this :) Your beadwork is gorgeous, and I love seeing what you create. You need to put a hidden camera on the porch so the rest of us bloggers could see the hugging of the postman :D I might pay to see that!

Christine Altmiller said...

the #5 endeared you to me even more! a woman after my own heart. if i were in an elevator with Baryshnikov, i think i would have to pinch his ass. or kiss him. or something.
i will check out more tomorrow, but before i pass out from exhaustion, i did click on Julsbeads and the Peregrine Beader, and oh my!!! What I have been missing...in talent and humor!
i will be looking deeper into your list and following some new-to-me blogs.
Thanks Bobbie!!!

Bobbie said...

Christine,


So here's the Baryshnikov story: I was doing a grad school internship in NYC, and a friend and I had heard that Baryshnikov was going to be in our building for a meeting. We estimated when the meeting would be over, and haunted the halls and elevators for a full hour. Stalked him, if I'm honest. Finally, worried that we were losing our minds, looking stupid, or in danger of being arrested, we gave up and decided to go home. Got in the elevator on the top floor where we worked, and one floor down, the elevator stops to pick up two passengers. You guessed it, Baryshnikov and a colleague.


I would have been tempted to pinch, kiss, or at least speak to him if he were alone. Or if his colleague hadn't been built like a linebacker for the NY Jets, who looked like she could have snapped me like a twig if I approached him.


So my friend and I contented ourselves with starting at his ass and thanking our lucky stars that our building had the slowest elevator in Manhattan. It was a lovely view.

Alice said...

Congratulations on your well-deserved award! It was fun to read these interesting facts about you.

Sarah Sequins said...

Congrats on your award, Bobbie, and thanks for the blog love! *Hugs.*

I went to an all-women's college my first year before I transferred out. There, I quickly learned that the notion that girls are tidier than boys was a lie. A big, big lie. ;)