Friday, July 17, 2020

Using the Treasure Trove, Pt. 1


As promised, I want to share the process of using some of the fabulous trims I got at the Zero Landfill event

One of the biggest challenges with the trim samples is that they are small, short, and often single. In other words, the braid may not be long enough for a full bracelet, there may only be one tassel in a single color, etc, etc, etc... I wanted to use some flat braids for bracelets. As you can see, unless I'm making a bracelet for a toddler, I had to find a workaround. 

Also, as you can see above, the ends had been stiffened with glue to prevent a (pretty spectacular) unraveling. So the first challenge was how to attach the trim to a backing, while disguising the necessary fray check at each end. 


On bracelet #1, I stitched the beads and trim directly to the backing (faux leather, also from the Zero Landfill haul), using triangles to cover the end. Then, I stitched another row of triangles to cover the butt end of the trim. 



The thickness of the trim and the glue made it difficult to keep lines of beads straight. Also, while the first end was easy enough to attach, because I didn't want to glue the trim down, the second end was tricky to keep straight while stitching beads and trim at the same time. Lesson learned.

On bracelet #2, I decided to weave the bead ends together before stitching them to the trim and the leather. The final result was nicer to my fussy, fussy (dare I say obsessive?) eye.




Then on the final bracelet, because of the wavy sides of the trim, I needed a different approach - solved with a band of peyote stitch on each end. 


I wove each band to the end of the trim and then stitched it to the backing. It's very secure.


It looks a little like a pocket that the trim has slipped into. (Side note - I LOVE the teal color and ostrich print of the faux leather on this one!)

I'm really pleased with the way these have turned out, and with the fun of solving the design challenges. I'm especially pleased that I didn't have to resort to using glue to attach the trim to the leather. I love the colors, which inspire some fun combinations. For all of the goodies in the giveaway haul, there is very little of this type of flat trim. I think I may have to hoard it and use it sparingly!

1 comment:

Divya N said...

I do have a lot of trim books with me and I never thought of using them for any other purpose than as a reference. But after seeing your posts, maybe I could look at them from the jewellery perspective too. Thanks for sharing.