Sunday, March 29, 2015

Partially Elegant

For the Winter Blues reveal, go here!

Once upon a time, there was a small container of lovely purple druks that got set down next to a small container of light blue faceted crystals. No one expected that they would play nicely together, but surprisingly enough, they were kind of elegant together.

Sometimes a serendipitous discovery, or a junky bead table, can lead to some surprising combinations like this one.  So I whipped out the seed beads and the needle, and brought them together in a netted necklace.


Except that there weren't quite enough beads to make a complete necklace. At least not a complete necklace for a grown woman with a neck bigger than 12" around.

Oops.

So I toted the partially completed necklace to every shop in town, and even a couple of bead shows, trying to find purple druks that matched to add enough length at the back.  Here's a revelation -- apparently, a 6mm druk in a nice rich purple is scarcer than hen's teeth. 


What I ended up with is close. Not perfect (the new purple's a little too blue), but close enough for me to wear since the back will be hidden by my hair.  If I want to sell this, the search for the perfect purple will continue.

Until then, it's partially elegant.


4 comments:

Maryanne said...

I love the purple druks with the blue crystals. They're just the right shades to go together. It's a beautiful necklace even if the beads don't all match up!

Therese's Treasures said...

Beautiful necklace! If someone notices that the other beads do not match then they are just being messy!
Therese

Christine Altmiller said...

Partially elegant and beautiful and making it work with what is at hand ~ just like a real woman!

AntiquityTravelers said...

well I would never have realized that was not what you meant to do in the back. I like when a pattern has a different flow to the back of the neck - so I would have thought this was perfect as is!

and I love the ombre look to your colorway!