Friday, March 13, 2015

She Who Should Have Been Shared Earlier

This little darling existed in an unfinished state for a while, but she finally got herself together.  Or rather, I finally got myself together to finish her and take pictures!


When I moved in October, she traveled in her incompleteness in a UFO box. When I started getting settled in, she was the first thing I reached for to work on.  The ocean jasper cab is one of my favorites -- but then, I'm a sucker for that gemstone anyway.

The challenge I set myself on this piece was to attach the neck strap to the pendant without weaving a bail or loop.  I incorporated the edging of the pendant into the tubular herringbone of the neck strap as I wove it, and I'm very happy with the result.  (Of course, I forgot to take a picture from an angle where you can actually see what I'm talking about....) Each time I used an edging bead in the strap, I did the whole round in that kind of butterscotch color.  You can kind of see the variegation in the part of the strap that is visible, showing that every other round is where a pendant edging bead was used as an attachment.  The result is particularly nice when wearing the necklace, because the clasp can't come squirreling down to the front of the necklace, and the pendant always hangs the way it should.


The picasso glass daggers were a serendipity -- I bought them "just because", and only by chance did I put them near this piece on the worktable.  They matched so beautifully, it was meant to be.

I ought to have shared her here before, but better late than never (that's my story, and I'm sticking to it!)

3 comments:

Christine Altmiller said...

She is a beauty! The colors, the shape, those daggers! They go perfectly with the stone. Really lovely! Serendipitous jewelry moments create THE best work :-)

Therese's Treasures said...

Gorgeous Bobbie,
I love Jasper no mater what type I am amounting quite a collection of jasper slabs, but no ocean jasper yet.
Isn't just amazing how our beads seem to appear next to a project that you are working on and beg to be added to the piece, because they are the perfect match.
Therese

Divya N said...

Such a lovely gorgeous piece